Sunday, January 3, 2010

Expect the Unexpected



Today is my last day in Manhattan. Even though my boyfriend went back to Shanghai yesterday and left me behind here in New York, I was able to spend good quality time with Sandra today. We hung out at the Natural History Museum, walked around Manhattan while having meaningful conversations in the subway. We people watched talked and talked about family, our future and etc. There's only a few girlfriends that I can share certain things with openly and she's always been one of them. It's not just the history and the bond that we've had since the 7th grade which obviously has not gone away regardless of lost years. It's effortless when we hang out and our conversations are awesome.
Last night, Sandra showed me some pictures Menconis, the infamous bar in Fremont near where we all grew up in Fremont. She told me how she ran into folks from back in the day during our high school years including my old roomie, Norman his sister, Nat, George Villegas and Kris Megino. These are names that hit to close to home because we grew up with these guys. I was glad that she saw our old friends from our high school days. Now that we both live in a different place the one thing that we share in common is how we will always treasure where we grew up.

What tripped me out was after a very nice day and devouring almost every item on the menu over dinner.. I get a text from Norman about our friend, Kris Megino as soon as we settle in her place. I guess he suddenly passed away after only finding out some sort of sickness for two weeks. Kris left behind a wonderful wife- Myra who happens to be an awesome girl of mine along with their young little daughter.

This was shocking news for our community in Fremont. It hits close to home and makes me appreciate the little things and the meaningful things in life. He is so young and died so unexpectedly. Myra is in my thoughts and prayers. I am very saddened by this and cannot imagine what she is going through. My faith seems to get stronger and stronger when rough times come unexpectedly whether if it's within my own family, close friends or hearing very sad news. I feel very blessed to have a life where I can learn and value each moment..each day with not only the people I love but with others who may need them too. Lessons seem never ending and it reminds us all to fully spend each day as if it were your last. Sounds cliche.. yes but how often do we hear tragedy and not learn from it? I can honestly say that I try to prepare to leave this earth behind with a meaning so when I meet the lord he will gladly embrace me with open arms. I hope and pray that he accepts me and my loved ones but not yet.

Today has been a perfect example to never underestimate life. Lesson learn is expect the unexpected because you'll just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment